Local Product Councils are designed to engage members based on their expertise and passion within the land use industry. The goal is to create a topically focused, multidisciplinary group of mid and senior level professionals involved in a specific facet of real estate who commit to meet on a regular basis, develop trusted connections and share best practices. These Councils provide a forum for information exchange among peers on the “state of the art” within the development field. Our councils are based on the ULI Product Council program – at the New York City level.
ULI New York currently has four Council types:
Local Product Council Structure
Local Product Councils are led by co-chairs who are responsible for content, guest speakers, schedule and membership of the council. Product councils meet on a bi-monthly basis and the membership of each council is in the range of 35-45 people. Members are expected to attend 4 out of the 6 meetings during the ULI fiscal year and participate in the information exchange. Local Product Council participation is application-based, but open only to ULI Members. The Council affiliation fee is $1o0 for private members or $50 for public/non-profit/student members.
Local Product Councils run on a fiscal year from July to June.
Basic Guidelines for a ULI New York Local Product Council:
- To be considered for participation on a Local Product Council, a member must submit an application (the annual application window is open from January – March)
- Must be a ULI member (Associate or Full)
- Must have relevant knowledge of subject matter
- Must actively participate in discussion and sharing information
- Must attend 4 out of the 6 meetings during the ULI fiscal year
- No more than two members of a firm may sit on the same product council
- Members can only participate on one Council at a time
How do I become involved in a Local Product Council?
- Join a Council: by submitting an application during the application window, which is open annually from January to March.
- Attend a Council meeting as a guest: there are 3 guest seats available for each Council meeting. If you would like to experience a Council meeting before applying to join, please contact Chris Karakul via e-mail at email@example.com
- Become a Council leader: To learn about the responsibilities of Council leadership, explore the Local Product Council Leadership Handbook. To apply to become a Council leader, submit a leadership application during the application window, which is open annually from January to March.