Local Product Councils are designed to engage members based on their expertise and passion within the land use industry. The goal is to create a topically focused, multidisciplinary group of mid and senior level professionals involved in a specific facet of real estate who commit to meet on a regular basis, develop trusted connections and share best practices. ULI New York’s Housing, Infrastructure, Mixed-Use, and Real Estate Tech and Innovation Councils provide a forum for information exchange among peers on the “state of the art” within the development field. Our councils are based on the ULI Product Council program – at the New York City level.
Local Product Council Structure
Success of the Local Product Councils is built upon passionate leadership, participation, and creating the right mixture of expertise. Councils provide opportunities for leadership and volunteer involvement in ULI at the local level by fostering a culture of openness, promoting excellence in programming, and sharing of issues critical to the land use planning and real estate development industries.
Local Product Councils are led by co-chairs who are responsible for content, guest speakers, schedule and membership of the council. Product councils meet on a bi-monthly basis and the membership of each council is in the range of 30-45 people. Members are expected to attend 4 out of the 6 meetings during the ULI fiscal year and participate in the information exchange. Membership in Local Product Councils is free and application-based, but open only to ULI Members.
Local Product Councils run on a fiscal year from July to June.
Basic Guidelines for a ULI New York Local Product Council:
- Must be a member of ULI to join a Local Product Council
- To be considered for participation on a Local Product Council, a member must apply (application window is open from January – March)
- Member must have relevant knowledge of subject matter
- Members can only participate in one Council at a time
- All members must actively participate in discussion and sharing information
- Local Product Councils meet bi-monthly
- Council members must attend 4 out of the 6 meetings during the ULI fiscal year
- Product council size may range from 25-40 people, as determined by the co-chairs
- No more than two members of a firm may sit on the same product council
- Diversity of member expertise (service providers, developers, lenders, etc)
- Seek diversity of membership by gender, ethnicity and age
- Limited number of guest seats for each meeting
How do I become involved in a Local Product Council?
The application window to join a council is open annually from January to March.
- Interested in a leadership role with one of the product councils? Contact Chris Karakul via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 917-773-8825 for more information.
- Interested in joining one of the product councils? Contact Chris Karakul via e-mail at email@example.com or call 917-773-8825 for more information.
- Contact us to attend a product council meeting as a guest. Limited seats available for each meeting.