The ULI New York Mixed-Use Councils are groups of prominent New York owners, developers, investors, brokers, designers and public sector leaders topically focused around mixed-use development.
The mission of ULI New York Mixed-Use Councils is to advocate for the smart, sustainable, health-promoting development of the New York region’s growing neighborhoods and economic centers and to share best practices in developing compact, transit oriented, mixed-use communities. The New York region must rise to the twin challenges of meeting the housing needs of its growing population and preserving its status as a leading center of global competitiveness and innovation. As a real estate industry leader, you have a vested interest in how the city meets these challenges and the expertise to help craft the next solutions. Let’s work together to help shape the city’s future.
Goals & Objectives
- To promote a pro-growth, pro-development agenda that supports the economic growth of the New York region and enhances our global competitiveness through progressive land use policies and long-term economic development strategies;
- To convene a trusted network of New York City’s best and brightest real estate industry professionals, including a cross section of developers, owners, providers of capital, designers, and related service providers, to share best practices and lessons learned about responsible mixed-use development strategies through the sharing of case studies;
- To provide a forum for information exchange on the state-of-the-art in transit oriented development;
- To serve as a resource to city and state government and the greater public on development policy and responsible urban growth;
- To provide an objective forum for real estate industry leaders to discuss development policy with city and state officials and community members; and
- To balance the need for affordable housing with concerns about density and maintain New York City as a world-class global center.
This council format is similar ULI’s national product councils. Members convene every other month to hear from a prominent best speaker(s) from the Mixed-Use development industry.
Mixed-Use Blue Co-Chairs
Jason Kaufman | Warner Capital LLC
Beth Zafonte | Akerman
Mixed-Use Green Co-Chairs
Miriam Harris | Priya Living
Julia Murphy | S.O.M.
How do I become involved?
- Join a Council: by submitting an application during the application window, which is open annually from January to March.
- Attend a Council meeting as a guest: there are 3 guest seats available for each Council meeting. If you would like to experience a Council meeting before applying to join, please contact Chris Karakul via e-mail at [email protected]
- Become a Council leader: To learn about the responsibilities of Council leadership, explore the Local Product Council Leadership Handbook. To apply to become a Council leader, submit a leadership application during the application window, which is open annually from January to March.
Basic Guidelines for a ULI NY Local Product Council:
- To be considered for participation on a Local Product Council, a member must submit an application (the annual application window is open from January – March)
- Must be a ULI member (Associate or Full)
- Must have relevant knowledge of subject matter
- Must actively participate in discussion and sharing information
- Must attend 4 out of the 6 meetings during the ULI fiscal year
- No more than two members of a firm may sit on the same product council
- Members can only participate on one Council at a time