ULI New York is hiring an Associate for our Midtown, Manhattan Office.
ULI New York is a District Council of ULI. As one of ULI’s largest District Councils, it has over 2,200 members throughout the state of New York. For additional information, please visit http://newyork.uli.org.
Reporting to the Executive Director, ULI New York seeks an energetic and entrepreneurial Associate to serve as an integral member of the team responsible for engaging local volunteer members, managing committees and programs, and working with partners to advance the mission of ULI and deliver value to the ULI membership in New York. The Associate will work closely with the Executive Director, managers, and third-party contractors employed by the district council to maintain programmatic, administrative, and office operations of the district council, including the development of membership, sponsorship, programs, and internal and external communications.
The Associate serves as a professional liaison between the district council, ULI headquarters, and New York–area real estate, planning, and development professionals. The Associate will be responsible for building strong relationships with members and partners; providing program support for the Young Leaders Group, ULI New York Awards for Excellence in Development, technical assistance panels, and UrbanPlan; supporting current and future strategic initiatives; providing support for the overall operations of the district council; and supporting strategic internal and external communications.
The ideal candidate must be proactive and demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, strong organizational and project management skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent intrapersonal skills, and knowledge of and local relationships in the planning, land use, and real estate sector.
Young Leaders Group
- Manage all aspects of the Young Leaders Group under the direction of the Executive Director, consisting of 800-plus ULI members under the age of 35 who are committed to responsibly shaping the built environment and the future of the real estate industry in the New York region.
- Coordinate committee meetings, including correspondence, scheduling, preparing agendas, and taking meeting minutes.
- Collaborate with committee cochairs to ensure timely implementation of committee work plans.
- Assist committee cochairs in committee governance and operations.
- Support the Executive Director and Manager in executing the district council’s annual Awards for Excellence in Development competition, which recognizes outstanding development projects in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors across New York state that best exemplify ULI’s commitment to responsible land use and creating sustainable, thriving communities.
- Support the Manager responsible for coordinating ULI New York’s technical assistance panel (TAP) program, which uses ULI member experts to provide objective solutions to complex land use challenges throughout New York state.
- Support the Manager of ULI New York’s UrbanPlan program, a realistic, engaging, and academically demanding classroom-based curriculum in which high school students learn about the roles, issues, trade-offs, and economics involved in urban development.
- Support standing committees and other working groups, as needed, including recording, writing, and distributing committee action items, scheduling meetings, and securing venue logistics.
- Assist with programs and event planning.
- Serve as initial point of contact for the New York District Council, including fielding and responding to routine member and prospect inquiries.
- Support overall membership development efforts, including working with ULI’s customer service department to update member information.
- Assist with membership-related needs, including membership welcome, orientation, retention, and recruitment strategies.
- Assist the Manager in the maintenance and updating of ULI New York’s website and microsites, using ULI’s content management systems, including, but not limited to: marketing for upcoming programs and events, news related to district council initiatives, members in the news, and other pertinent activities.
- Assist the Manager of ULI New York’s social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, LinkedIn, Facebook) with social media coordination and messaging.
- Develop and draft the Chairman’s Monthly e-Newsletter to members and prospects.
District Council Operations Support
- Manage and maintain district council operations, including, but not limited to: supplies and equipment, files, databases, records, calendars, inventories, and other district council resources, as needed.
- Manage distribution of correspondence to members and nonmembers.
- Work with the Executive Director, managers, and third-party contractors to create, produce, and manage distribution of district council collateral materials.
- Support the Executive Director in the preparation of budgets and recertification plans.
- Support the managers in developing grant applications to support the district council’s initiatives.
- Access member and nonmember records to create analyses for membership, sponsorship, attendance, and budget patterns for forecasting short- and long-term goals.
- Attend ULI New York events to foster connections to, and engagement with, ULI members.
- Perform other administrative, marketing, and communications duties and projects, as required, to contribute to a team effort.
Maintains daily relationship with and reports to the ULI New York Executive Director; works directly with the Executive Director and managers, as well as with staff at ULI headquarters; and disseminates information to applicable parties and departments, including membership, meeting production, finance, and customer service teams.
On a daily basis, works with ULI members serving in key leadership positions, member firms, sponsors, prospects, vendors, collaborative partner organizations, and consultants.
- BA/BS degree and 1-3 years of work experience, preferably at a nonprofit or other organization in a member service capacity.
- Polished and professional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to work with senior business and public sector executives.
- Self-motivated and highly organized, demonstrating meticulous attention to both details and deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, and complete tasks on time, with responsible follow-through.
- Proven project and office management skills, including the ability to creatively solve problems.
- Ability to provide courteous customer service and maintain professional relationships with coworkers in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency/skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Adobe products; knowledge of and competency with a graphics, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, or communications software a plus.
- Familiarity and proficiency with web-based tools, such as content management systems or internet-based tools for updating and publishing content to dynamic websites.
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media a plus.
- Interest in real estate, land use, and urban development desired.
- Ability to attend district council events, functions, and meetings in the early morning and evening is required.
To apply, please click here. Please submit a resume and letter of interest. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time. EOE/m/f/d/v.